It covered the kinds of themes I’m interested in and thus was an excellent way of taking ‘the pulse of our interesting times’, e.g.
- asking for a High Tech Task Force
- more data networking
- and that the BBC license fee could be used for startups.
At the same time, it was observed that
- we are at a regulatory tipping point
- need effective competition
- and need to make smart decisions.
In the spirit of Back to the Future, Forward to the Past was suggested. For we are
- in an arms race against online crooks
- wondering whether regulators can move fast enough?
- facing the rise of big data.
Might a ‘digital charter‘ unite us for the right policy and the right mandates?
- Ofcom should be braver
- we are in a battle of ideas
- Think tanks are needed, for the world needs help, too, in the great silos of the state.
The most (r)evolutionary presentation was offered by historian Colin Williams of Softbox who illustrated how we are living in a Digital (r)evolution, culminating in his observation that money is a ‘collective hallucination‘.
Given my many money related sites, no wonder I was intrigued and fascinated!
- Coding & Creativity: The Future of ICT in Schools – event | Education | The Observer (guardian.co.uk)
- Canada Launches Next Generation Open Data Portal (nonprofitnewswire.wordpress.com)
- Open Data Institute Launches New Certificates to Aid Discovery of Open Data (semanticweb.com)
- New G8 Open Data Charter (sunlightfoundation.com)
- Navigating The World Of Open Data On The Web (semanticweb.com)
- Big Data Strategy: Crowdfunding Campaign Kick Off on the 18th of June 2013 at Seedrs.com. Investors Can Get Equity in the Business. (pr.com)
- Is your big data worth the effort? (gigaom.com)
- big data (thejohnsmithblog.wordpress.com)