Anybody vaguely interested in computing will have heard about TED talks [Technology, Entertainment, Design].
I recently met a TED Fellow at a meeting of Women in Technology who said that applications for TED Fellows have opened. And thus I filled in the form. They are looking for people between 21 and 40, but do make exceptions. Let’s assume that my 3d metric software methods will be considered ‘exceptional’. I’ve now described them on a single A4 as well as a 5-page white paper.
Recently I attended a CloudCamp event where I met a developer who introduced me to Data Driven Documents, pointing out the ‘richness’ that my work has to offer instead. I always like Information is Beautiful as well.
I withdrew five patents before publication because an American IP lawyer advised me ‘patents are the game of the big boys – you are better protected by trade secrets.’ My troubles in bridging the ‘commercialisation gap’ between invention and product, make me wonder:
- why is patent infringement not as criminal as Copyright in the UK and as in other countries?
- why do government grants make patent filing a condition of grant applications, when it has become standard practice for big companies to steal patents and just tell the inventor ‘sue us’?
- how come that HMG mentality is ‘ideas come from academia’ and ‘money comes from industry’?
- according to members of the SME Innovation Alliance whose website I help editing, the UK with the reputation of smart inventors and great innovations has not only given inventions away but has become a free research lab for the big boys.
Can the next globally mobile generation change for the better rather than the worse??? Attending the Innovation Playground focussing on Financial Services gave me hope!
Wake up: Do You Know? / Shift Happens!
- Ted Talks: Cesar Harada: A Novel Idea for Cleaning up Oil Spills (milkandcookies.com)
- 20 things I learned on Day One of TEDGlobal (wired.co.uk)
- Ten off-stage highlights at TED Global 2012 (wired.co.uk)
- Damian Palin: Mining minerals from seawater (ravtul.wordpress.com)
- TED Names 2012 TED Fellows and TED Senior Fellows in Most Competitive Selection Process to Date (prweb.com)
- TED: Cesar Harada: A novel idea for cleaning up oil spills – Cesar Harada (2012) (ted.com)
- TED: Alanna Shaikh: How I’m preparing to get Alzheimer’s – Alanna Shaikh (2012) (ted.com)
- TED: Usman Riaz and Preston Reed: A young guitarist meets his hero – Preston Reed / Usman Riaz (2012) (ted.com)